What documents are required?

You are required to produce your original Birth Certificate. Persons born in Australia must produce their birth certificate or Australian Passport.

Persons born outside Australia are also required to produce their full birth certificate. However, in the absence of that document they can produce their passport. If either of these documents are not in English they will need to be translated by a qualified interpreter into English.

If you have previously been married, original of the Decree Absolute or Death Certificate, whichever is applicable must be produced.

How much notice do we need to give before we can marry?

A Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) must be lodged with your Marriage Celebrant no less than one calendar month and no more than eighteen months prior to the marriage being solemnised.

Please click the link below to download this form:


Application Forms

Download a PDF application form* to print off.
Please Note: forms are for informational purposes only.

Where documents state that: — they need to be certified by a qualified witness as true copies of the original. A qualified witness is a: Justice of the Peace; notary public; legal practitioner with current practising certificate; and/or a person authorised to administer an oath under Section 26 of the Oaths Act 1900.

Search NSW Government website for a Justice of the Peace *PDF documents open with adobe acrobat reader Get Adobe Reader